Home Charging Station Orange County
Congratulations! You just bought an exciting new Electric Vehicle (EV). You'll soon be reducing your fuel expense AND your environmental footprint. And if you want to reduce range anxiety and time wasted at a public charging station, you will want to install one at home. But first, you need to make sure that your home is ready for your EV charging needs.
A-EV Installs was formed as part of A-HOME Electric to specialize in residential EV charger installations. We install chargers for ALL Electric Vehicles on the market, including the new Tesla Model 3. Not only do we install the actual charger, but we can also do all of the necessary panel upgrades, wiring, and permitting.
You spent enough money on your valuable EV. Don't overspend on the installation of your charger. With over 12-years experience in the electrical field and as a top EV charger installer in Orange County, we guarantee a fast, reliable and affordable experience from A to EV!
Even if you don't hire A-EV, we want to help you as a first-time EV owner (or future owner) with the following guide:
After determining which electrical vehicle to purchase, the next step is getting an at-home charging station set-up.
- Determine what type of charging station would work best for your EV and home. Consult with the plug-in electric vehicle dealer to determine what type of charging station is required for the vehicle.
- Contact Southern California Edison (SCE) for information about electrical service requirements, metering and the right price plan
for you. Call: 1-800-4EV-INFO (1-800-438-4636) Customers can also visit: www.sce.com/ElectricVehicle
Ask the customer service representative:
- Do I need home electrical upgrades?
- How will it impact my energy usage?
- Would the EV price plan be a good fit?
- Install the charging station you have selected. It is HIGHLY recommended that you hire a LICENSED electrician to install your
When consulting with the electrician, be sure to ask the following:
- Do I need to upgrade my electrical panel?
- Is ventilation required?
- What is the charging level?
- How much does installation cost, with and without permit?
- When will it be completed?
- Will they submit all required permits and oversee inspections if required by the city?
NOTE: permitting and inspection requirements vary by city. Check with your local municipality for more information.
Types of at-home EV charging stations
Pure battery electric vehicles and faster, higher-voltage charging methods may require a home electrical panel upgrade in addition to a dedicated 240-volt circuit.
Level 1 (120 volts)
It uses the standard 120-volt outlet that typically won't require you to make modifications to your electric panels or home wiring. Confirm that your home's electrical outlet is at least 15 or 20-amp, single pole by consulting with a licensed electrician.
- Most plug-in hybrid electric vehicles take four to six hours to fully charge.
- A battery electric vehicle takes 12 to 24 hours to fully charge.
Level 2 (240 volts)
It increases the charge power two to four times and decreases the typical full charge time for a battery electric vehicle to four to eight hours. It will likely require a new dedicated circuit from the electric panel to a wall location near the EV parking spot. Consult with a licensed electrician to verify that your home's electric panel has sufficient space for a two-pole 20 to 80-amp breaker. If not, an electrical panel upgrade is required.Book Your Installation